The advantages of macrocycles as drugs include:
- Modulation of challenging targets such as protein-protein interactions
- Ability to cross biological membranes and reach intracellular targets
- Stability to metabolism
- Improved target affinity/specificity
- Potential for oral bioavailability
- Access to novel patentable chemical space
Macrocycles can inhibit protein-protein interactions, and target a diverse array of diseases, including inflammatory and immunological disorders, infectious diseases, cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s and epilepsy.